Friday, April 15, 2011

Gardening 101


I've learned a lot trying to start a garden. A lot of things not to do actually. My cantaloupe that I transplanted died immediately so I replanted the seeds straight into the garden. They're growing ok so far. The whole growing from seed process is taking longer than I expected. Next year I will most likely buy the plants further along.

spring2011_1_86

My spinach was not sprouting nearly enough in the garden for some reason. I had maybe four sprout up. I replanted the spinach in smaller pots on our deck and it's working so much better.

spring2011_1_87

I went to check on the garden this morning...in my pj's of course;)

spring2011_1_88

and was surprised to see I have some onion sprouting

spring2011_1_80

my peppers that I started indoors are still hanging on, although one got eaten by a mole that's really getting on my nerves..

spring2011_1_82

as you can tell from above there are weeds...I don't know what exactly all weeds look like, so I haven't attempted to weed yet for fear of pulling up my plants, but they are starting to take over.

This is either squash or zucchini.

spring2011_1_84

I love when I catch them breaking through the soil.

spring2011_1_83

I'm probably most excited about the watermelon that's sprouting...

spring2011_1_85

Hopefully in a few months I'll have pictures of fruit and veggies... If I can keep the moles and weeds away. Gardening is definitely harder than I thought. I will be very surprised if I get anything edible out of it, but at least I've learned what not to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest